Last summer I saw “The Book of Mormon” Broadway play. It was fantastic and I highly recommend seeing it if it comes to a city near you. While watching the play I wondered how many people watching the play were laughing at how ridiculous certain aspects of the Mormon religion are without thinking at all about the crazy things within their own religion. Sure, there were probably some Atheists like myself in the audience, but statistically there were far more religious attendees than non-religious. The religious love to poke fun at other religions, but never stop to critically look at their own religion and the many crazy things it believes in.
Christians love to point out the magic underwear and golden plates Mormons believe in. They love to point out that Jehovah’s Witnesses believe only 144,000 people go to Heaven. They love to point out Catholics and exorcisms. I could go on and on. But let’s take a moment to look at a few things that are beyond crazy that Christians believe.
Before giving you a small list, I’ll point out that some of these things cross over into other religions.
- The virgin birth. Christians believe Jesus was literally born to a virgin. Science fail right there.
- Blood and body of Christ. Christians believe that drinking wine (or juice) and eating bread during communion is the literal drinking and eating of Christ’s blood and flesh.
- Faith in God will fix everything.
- God made woman out of a man’s rib.
- God flooded the entire Earth, saving only one family.
- All human suffering is the result of Eve eating the forbidden fruit.
Yes, magic underwear is certainly a crazy belief, but is it really any crazier than believing a virgin gave birth? Crazier than a worldly flood and re-population of Earth by one family? Not in my mind.